5 Great Questions
I was introducing myself to a new client the other day, and had been given the great privilege of having unfettered access to their entire employee base of about 50. Developers, Sales, Operations, Marketing, Product and Customer Support were all right there, in one room, at my disposal. What a great opportunity.
I ran a simple Affinity exercise, asking five questions:
- What gets you up in the morning. What is the main reason that you love working here?
- What is the one thing that you like least about working here?
- What is the single most important thing that this company needs to be able to succeed?
- What is the single biggest impediment or obstacle that we face in achieving our goals?
- What is your best idea to improve our company, in order to meet our goals?
5 minutes to answer the questions on sticky-notes, another 5 to get the Affinities, and 5 more to multi-vote (3 dot-votes per person, to be spread across). 90 minutes of discussion. It was a surprisingly effective forum, and all sorts of interesting issues were raised that probably otherwise would never have surfaced.